31 August 2012

Notes on Women's Gis...

I love gis, but this is not supposed to be a blog all about gis. There are other blogs for that. Really, really good ones. But, once again, the teammates are picking my brain about good gis for the ladies, so here are my top picks/brands to watch for ladies.

  1. Fushida LS--As mentioned in the last post, I own a GS (the men's or gender-neutral version of the LS) and bought that instead of the LS because I really wanted a blue gi and the women's model only comes in white or black. That being said, the GS is one of my favorite gis and I'm positive that the LS is just as awesome. This gi features top reinforcements, comfy and heavy-duty drill cotton pants (I think they'll last forever!) and it's tailored without being tight. It's not super light, but for training, you really can't beat it. It's $150-160, depending on color, which puts it right in the middle of the pack, price-wise, but I'm convinced it beats just about everyone on quality, regardless of price. Plus, white or black with purple hits is classy but sick!       http://shop.fushida.ca/Fushida-COMPLS-Womens-Jiu-Jitsu-BJJ-Gi-Kimono-p/compls-wh.htm
  2.  CTRL Aloha--I have another of their models in a men's cut with a second coming in late October (yay, Knight!). These guys make some of the most designed-out, sexiest gis the world has ever known, plus they throw a great deal of quality in the mix, too. It is sold out for the moment, but it looks like they'll be back in stock pretty soon. This one is sized interestingly, too because they use the standard A0, A1, etc. but only go up to A2 and offer a bunch of in between sizes to accommodate the stocky and the skinny lady, which is pretty cool. Also in the middle on price at $150, I'd jump on it if I wanted a CTRL, since most their stuff is $10-20 more than this model.      http://ctrlindustries.bigcartel.com/product/the-aloha
  3. Killer Bee Gi--If you're looking for something a touch easier on the budget, take a look at the women's Ligustica. Split sizing is available (different pants size from jacket size) plus their  pants singlehandedly restored my faith in ripstop. Comfy, non-waxy and thick enough to not be see-through when sweaty (I think...mine are blue, so I can't say for sure.) This is another little guy company that really takes care of its customers. When I bought my gender neutral model, they were already marked down by 40% and much to my surprise, I found a free t shirt in with my order. It's nice little touches like that, along with a quality gi and prompt answers to customer questions that separates KBG and a few others from the gi pack.          http://www.killerbeegi.com/products/womens-ligustica-mk-ii-white-gi-top-1
  4. Atama Mundial #9--If you catch it on sale and are a leaner gal (aka "surfboard" aka "boobless wonder") this gi is, in my opinion, pretty great. I like mine for competition because the weave feels light on my body, but is roughly the texture of sandpaper. The sleeves are also really tapered, so keeping grips is a challenge. The pants are a true parachute-style ripstop, which I really love for their lightness, and once again, the challenge that such an unusual texture provides in keeping a grip. Retailing at around $200, this is not a budget gi. However, bjjhq runs them every now and then and a Black Friday deal can bring the cost down around $150, which is about where this gi belongs, if you ask me.
  5.  
    Honorable Mentions/Gis I haven't seen yet:
    Da Firma Kimonos--I'm looking forward to these guys. They're releasing their first women's specific model really soon and I've been following the process on Facebook. They've had about a million beta testers to ensure the sizing and fit are just right. Another little guy in the game that is really doing it right.
    Da Firma on Facebook
    Kingz 420--Good lightweight gi for cutting weight but I feel that the finishes are lacking on this for the retail price ($150). Also, there are a few little holes forming in the pants which suggests a blowout is on its way. Since I got this gi in April, that's pretty weak, if you ask me. I will say that the curvier lady will be all set with this model, while the lankier among us will be wishing for more sleeve length and less body width.
    http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=33202&cat=875&page=1
    Tatami Estilo 3.0--Haven't heard many bad things about Tatami. This gi should be at my doorstep tomorrow night, so I'll let you know how it turns out.
    mmawarehouse.com
    Fuji Pink Blossom--One of the best bargains on the list, a fellow camper at Women's Grappling Camp loved this one, but for some reason my only Fuji gi just didn't fit my body. That being said, if you're on a budget, Fuji gives you a lot of quality for just under $100.
    http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=33391&cat=&page=1
    I realize this list leaves quite a few companies out in the cold, but based on my experience and a lot of other people's reviews, these are my suggestions if you were in the market for a gi today.



1 comment:

  1. Did you every get a chance to try our kimonos from DFKC?

    ReplyDelete